Friday 10 April 2020

Common Sense Dancing: Clare's Dance

I was house/cat-sitting for a friend in January 2004. One morning I sat down at their piano while the kettle was on, and my hands fell into the pattern that underpins this tune. I became interested in how small movements of the fingers to adjacent piano keys changed the harmony.

Of course I knew it would, but there was something about the movements of the suggested distant chords/keys that reminded me of an old friend with whom I had lost touch a couple of decades prior.

I ended up naming the piece after her. I thought, were she to hear it, that she would probably like the first half, but probably not the second. While Minimalism appealed to her, Jazz-rock never really floated her boat..

The work of artists such as Bill Bruford, Brand X, Weather Report, Quantum Jump, etc. have had a huge influence on me through the years, alongside composers such as Steve Reich, Terry Riley, and Michael Nyman. All these elements get stirred together, and I end up writing things like Clare's Dance.

Flute by John Hackett, ambient and lead guitars by Nick Fletcher.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment