Wednesday 25 March 2020

Common Sense Dancing: I Could Dance With You

Hope you've got your breath back from all that walking yesterday..

Today we have the album's proper introduction with I Could Dance With You.

It makes heavy use of a tape based keyboard machine from the 60s, the Mellotron. Mellotrons were stock in trade for many, mainly 'progressive' bands in the 70s, but their original design was for being a fairly full musical entertainment device, and as such earlier models had a collection of rhythm/backing tapes which could be played behind a 'lead' voice. I Could Dance With You makes use of the Rhumba rhythm from the MkII Mellotron. The harp rolls, strings and clarinets are all Mellotron too..

From the middle onward there is a part which sounds almost like a Clavioline (think 'Telstar' by the Tornadoes, or read this!), but is in fact layered Mellotron violin and viola played via electric guitar and a MIDI interface..

The was a song written with someone in mind who, it turned out, had no interest in me! So it goes.. But I like the song, and will often start my solo gigs with it.

So go, go get your dancing shoes, and I'll see you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Is Common Sense Dancing available on Cd, or just download?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian

    It is! on my main bandcamp page, there's a merch link towards the bottom.

    https://duncanparsons.bandcamp.com/album/common-sense-dancing

    I'm not certain what Post Office collections will be like over the next little while, my local has closed for now. The next one isn't really within walking distance under current guidelines. Were you to order, it may take a while before it can get to you.

    Glad you like the radio play though!

    :-)
    Duncan

    ReplyDelete