Sunday 29 March 2020

Common Sense Dancing: Cupboard Luv

In the 90s I worked with a chap Marc Catley. We made four albums together and contributed tracks to a variety of compilation albums between 1992 and 1996. Some of the work was released under a bandname Paley's Watch. Only one album was released, November. There was to have been a follow-up, a concept album about Art and The Arts, but it was never made, sadly. Arguably, Common Sense Dancing is now that album.

In preparation for the second Paley's Watch album I asked a friend for a suggestion for 'arty subject matter,' and she suggested sitcom. Much as I liked the idea, I couldn't find a way in to make it work; but with so much sitcom humour relying on farce, I felt I could more easily tackle a song about that - and Cupboard Luv is the result!

It tells the story of some self-aggrandised old ham at a local dramatic society getting his comeuppance during a performance.

Muted trumpet by Hester Russell and female BVs by Kim Eames.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment