Monday 6 April 2020

Common Sense Dancing: Mellotron Suite: Ambling Excitedly

The three longer pieces of incidental music from Where Shall We Go were simply named Theme 1, Theme 2, Theme 3, until I started doing the artwork for the album and I felt that I couldn't really go to press with such mundane names.. I chose names that partly reflected the position of the music in the play, and partly the feel they created.

The underlying guitar part of this piece, Theme 1 as was, originally came about from me playing around with ideas surrounding an arrangement of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill..

The violin and flute parts were initially going to have leitmotifs to represent the She and He of the play, but other than the first melodic idea heard on the flute which is repeated in various ways across the incidental music, this idea was dropped. However, the interplay between the two top lines was intended to be conversational, mimicking the two as they walked - whether it's successful in that is perhaps not for me to say!

After that excited amble, I'll see you tomorrow for something a little more reflective!

No comments:

Post a Comment